UUCP error message

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Mon Apr 10 06:04:41 AEST 1989

In article <89096.10:22:17.378274UH2 at PSUVM> UH2 at PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
=Handshake Failed:  REMOTE REJECT AFTER LOGIN
=
=So, what's this mean?
=
=And more importantly, what books or manuals could you recommend so that
=I could look this up instead of publicly displaying my ignorance 8-).
=

Sys Adm's Guide, p C-64: "The login used by your 3B2 Computer to login does
not agree with what the remote machine was expecting."  Helpful, no?

Here's what others have told me:

I have seen this problem before!
We are running SVR3.1 on a Motorola Box and have some local Suns dumpping
things to it constantly, so a minor change in policies have thrown us off!

This error is one of four problems:
	1) In the Permissions file (on the remote machine) the LOGNAME
parameter is not what you are logging in as.
	e.g.: Their Permissions file say:
		LOGNAME=XXXXX,MACHINE=mccc
	but you are logging in as (say) uucp.
	2) Again in the Permissions file, the READ and WRITE parameters
are not set correctly.  They should at least be:
		READ=/usr/spool,WRITE=/usr/spool
	3) The login shell for your uucp login (again on the remote
machine) is not set to /usr/lib/uucp/uucico (or equivalent).
	4) During your poll of that machine you are not executing uucico
with the -r1 option.  If *you* are polling, this should be set.

	Good luck and I hope this helps!!!!!!!

scott barman
gatech!dtscp1!scott

So, the possible problems are:
 1) your machine is not in his /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file, or
 2) the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file is not readable by the login id muucp

Randy Davis                     		UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
3B2 System Test Engineering                           ...(att!)occrsh!rjd
AT&T Network Systems, Oklahoma City Works

i had this just last week ;-).  uucp is unable to read one of the
files that it needs.  the problem i had was that uucico was SUID
nuucp and the uucp files were owned by uucp.  your remote system
probably thinks you are an unknown machine.  i'd start by checking
the permissions on your Systems file.
--
 jfh at rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)

Hope some of this helps.
Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College					CompuServe: 70240,334