720 and 360k floppy drives in 6300

Peter Fales psfales at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Sun Apr 16 03:56:56 AEST 1989

In article <7847 at killer.Dallas.TX.US>, jccc at killer.Dallas.TX.US (Juan Castillo) writes:

> Hello folks of netland!
>
> Once again I'm in need of your assistance. Can a 720 & a 360k floppy
> drives be used at the same time on the resident floppy controller that is
> located in the mother board of the AT&T6300?
>If it is possible, what 720k drive is compatible wtih the existing controller?

For a 720K drive, there is no need to disable the existing controller.
I have had a 720K drive my system (as drive B:) for some time with no
problems.  All that is necessary is to plug it in and set the appropriate
parameters in CONFIG.SYS with DRIVPARM.  This requires DOS 3.2 or
later.  Also, there was a bug in DOS 3.3 that kept DRIVPARM from working
properly: you must either use DOS 3.30A, or use one of the patches that
have been posted to the net.

As far as I know, any standard 5.25 inch or 3.5 inch 720K drive should
work.  Note also that none of these comments apply to the 1.2 MB or 1.44
MB disks which can not be used with the 6300's native controller.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-414
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.