adding drives to 3B2

James C. Benz jcbst3 at cisunx.UUCP
Wed Apr 12 02:32:59 AEST 1989

I am considering adding some hard drives to our 3B2 system here (more correctly,
replacing the internal 32MB drives with bigger ones)  and I'm having some
trouble getting the information I need to make a decision.  Two Maxtor drives
(XT2190 and XT1140) have been recommended to me, but the prices for these fall
a little out of our budget.  One of the vendors I talked to suggested that
I try one of their Microscience drives.  These are:

HH1050	53MB	unformatted	rll recording	$500
HH1060	80MB	unformatted	rll recording	$468
HH1075	75MB	unformatted	mfm recording	$667
HH1095	112MB	unformatted	rll recording	$800

My questions are:
1) has anyone out there used one of these drives with a 3B2 and how hard is
	it to do?
2) what does rll,mfm mean?  Does it matter?
3) are there any other hard drives we might want to look at for under $1K?

Natch, I am more interested in the 112MB than the 53MB - the more the better.
The University however has only 'given' us $2K to upgrade 3 machines.  I
understand that formatting a big drive on a 3B2 is not as easy as using
the sysadm menu, but someone out there was kind enough to forward some
step by step instructions.  Any information at all about using 3rd party
drives with a 3B2 would be appreciated.
--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,