pathalias error (was Re: Error message on 3b1 w/ 3.0 os)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Apr 22 08:55:45 AEST 1989

In article <547 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>Here's the situation.  I'm running pathalias from crontab, and
|>I get an error in the Error Window (the little [!!] window near the
|>Mail Icon).  I hit [Msg] and all it says is "/proc/{process id}".
|>
|>I'm working on getting a log of all the processes and their id numbers
|>so I can get an idea of what it is that's crashing, but til then,
|>anyone having any suggestions on how to get more information on the
|>error window stuff?

Actually I got this myself, and I have to admit it had me going for a while.
I thought it was something wrong with my kernel.  I woke up each morning
with a /proc/#### [once with a /proc/0666 - guess the devil was taking
over my machine ;-)].  Finally I turned on process accounting "acct(2)" and
found out it was pathalias ... ahh.  Well you've already figured out it
was pathalias, as it turns out pathalias writes to stderr.  Just so happens
when jobs are run from /etc/smgr stderr is dup(2)'d to /dev/error, which
will be the [!!] icon.

There's the answer to your mystery.  It's not a bug, all you have to do
redirect stderr "2>" to something /dev/null or a file...

-Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576