3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Bob Ames bob at rush.howp.com
Fri Apr 28 06:27:34 AEST 1989

In article <2947 at ihuxy.ATT.COM> wolfer at ihuxy.ATT.COM (Wolfson) writes:

>I would be interested in knowing for how many of these cases, the disk
>heads were not parked when the machines were shut down. I've said it
>before - nothing is guaranteed in this world, but if you EVER shut down
>and turn off a unix-pc without first parking the heads, you have to ask
>yourself a question -- "Do I feel lucky" ?

And I've said it before.  3B1s which still have the original full size disk
that came with their unit DO NOT NEED TO BE PARKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only if you (or someone else) has changed the drive and didn't use the
same type may you need to park the heads when shutting down.

ALL ORIGINAL AT&T 3B1 DRIVES ARE SELF PARKING!  Ever notice the Ker-Chunk
sound when you power off your machine?

BTW:  This is in the 3.51 addendum around the last page, and confirmed
with the hotline that ALL 3B1s are applicable, not just ones running 3.51.

Bob

Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob at rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob at nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-743-2546 "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush