second disk partitions on UNIXPC

Marty Donaldson madcat at cbnewsm.ATT.COM
Fri Dec 8 02:55:36 AEST 1989

>From article <1049 at icus.islp.ny.us>, by lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano):
> that "ln" works faster than "mv" but never take into account that you
> _might_ have more than one partition and you can't ln across filesystems.
>
> The best solution to this is to "hand-Install" your programs.  Or at
> the very least fix the "Install" script found on the installtion disks
> and then re-cpio it up to be installed through the UA.

I ran into this software install problem also. I did the following:

1) renamed ln to ln.REAL

2) wrote a shell script called ln, which:
	a) does an ln.REAL.
	b) checks the exit code of the ln.REAL.
	c) if ln.REAL was successful, exit.
	d) if ln.REAL was unsuccessful (cross fs ln), do a cp instead with
	   the same args., exit.

I have /tmp and /usr on the 2nd drive. This has not failed me so far. I would
have included the actual shell script but its at home on a system that's
not cooperating with a 2meg mother board upgrade. I'll see if I can locate
a backup copy and post it.