problem using tar under system V

Fariborz "Skip" Tavakkolian fst at gtenmc.UUCP
Sat Dec 30 07:19:14 AEST 1989

In article <1295 at amethyst.math.arizona.edu> mat at zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) writes:
[delete]
>so we tried to use tar.  However, the tar command on his system quits
>after it has writen roughly 2Mb to the archive file ...
>Tar always quits at the same number of bytes no matter what kind of device
>or file we try to write to ( a pipe or a disk file ) ...
>Is tar under system V broken?  Any ideas on a workaround?
>Thanks in advance.
>Mat Watson
>..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu!mat

This looks like the ULIMIT problem; by default most 3B2, 6386 etc. are
setup with a ULIMIT of 2048 (1K) blocks.  There is information in the AT&T
manuals on how to change the system limits.

P.S., I am working on a VAX 8810 with 128 MB of main memory (RAM) running
SVR3.1 and close to a GAZILION MB of disk; the  ULIMIT is set to 2048, makes
no sense whatsoever ...

Skip