C.Itoh ProWriter 8510 for UNIXPC

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Dec 14 21:07:33 AEST 1989

Many have asked me how/where they could acquire a C.Itoh ProWriter 8510 which
I mentioned in a posting pertaining to how one could produce document-quality
screen dumps.  Due to an email backlog, I'm presently unable to answer
personally, hence this net posting to unix-pc.general and comp.sys.att.

Several months ago, I located table after table-full of the printers at CSS
for $25 each, with the RS-232 interface.  I was looking for one with a
parallel interface and didn't see any there, but ...  CSS constantly gets an
incredible variety of stuff.  CSS has 150,000 square feet, with 50' ceilings
piled high.  This is the place where I found some 20 pallets of UNIXPC
keyboards.  CSS also has (from time to time) 1200 and 2400 baud modems for $5
to $10 (ten) dollars each, and also is an excellent source of brand new and
refurbished hard disks (Maxtor being their specialty).  They have a lot of
stuff, and I'd check them first before anyplace else:

	Computer Surplus Solutions (aka Weird Stuff Warehouse)
	715 Sycamore Drive
	Milpitas, CA  95035

	408/434-0168

Also check sources such as COMPUTER SHOPPER, Microtimes, Computer Currents,
and the classifieds in your local newspapers.

Though Apple's ImageWriter and DEC's LN-05 (or some such model number) share
the same hardware as the ProWriter, Apple and DEC altered the ROM code to be
proprietary to them, and those printers do NOT respond to the printer codes
destined for a ProWriter.

As I've been informed by someone else, AT&T also OEM'd the ProWriter, and
marketed it as the AT&T 470 (if I remember correctly; there's NO way I can
grep the mail here to quickly re-locate the message since PORTAL doesn't
provide access to the underlying UNIX of its service) with ROM compatibility
to the C.Itoh 8510.

To the best of my knowledge, this printer isn't manufactured anymore, so your
only source is going to be the "previously owned" marketplace.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]