TWG2.1 on the Internet

doug at marque.mu.edu doug at marque.mu.edu
Wed Dec 20 00:53:58 AEST 1989

We are running (fortunately AMONG other systems that do not have the problem)
two ATT3B15s with SystemV Release 3.1.1 Version 1, 10base5 Release 1.1 NI
interface to an Ethernet, and Wollongong WIN/3B Release 2.1 for TCP/IP
software.  Our site is (finally) on the Internet (net 134.48) through
a Proteon P4100 router.  But we cannot get our 3B15/TWG systems to talk
to the router, only to one another and various other systems we have.

Whenever we try to install a route entry for the router it attaches it
to the loopback interface rather than to the ethernet; according to
"netstat -i" the loopback has the address of our local net, rather
than 127.anything, but we cannot find a way to change that, even when
we reinstall the software from tape.  My (could easily be very wrong)
guess is that it routes to other machines on the 134.48 subnet just
fine because it sees them as direct and does not use the routing entries,
but as soon as we try to access something else it tries to use the
routing entries and ships things to the loopback.

If you are on the Internet in any way with a 3B15 and the above hardware
and software we would appreciate your help.  Other advice will not be
very helpful; we DO NOT HAVE ifconfig, for example, so suggestions
of how to use that will be routed as described in the preceding
paragraph :-).

Douglas Harris
doug at marque.mu.edu
uunet!marque!doug