3B1/7300 Development set wanted

Fariborz "Skip" Tavakkolian fst at gtenmc.UUCP
Fri Dec 22 13:09:01 AEST 1989

In article <401 at quad.uucp> dts at quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) writes:
>In article <10129 at zodiac.ADS.COM> neville at hebron.ADS.COM (Neville Newman) writes:
>:In article <399 at quad.uucp> dts at quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) writes:
>:>In article <4309 at rtech.rtech.com> bruces at daneel.rtech.com (Bruce Stewart) writes:
>:>>I'm looking for a source for the development set for the unix-pc.
>:>
>:>You're not alone in this.
>:
>:Now i get to ask - why?  Wouldn't it be better in the long run to
>:get of couple of compiler writers to modify gas (GNU Assembler)
>:and family to generate/understand Unix-PC object files?
>
>Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoid all GNU software on
>principle - I don't agree with Stallman's ideas.  Besides, there's a
>lot more to the development set than just a compiler and assembler.
>
>--
>David Sandberg             dts at quad.uucp or ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts
>"What's the difference between 12-bit and 16-bit?  A lot more than 4 bits!"

If it makes you feel any better, after getting the sources to the GNU software,
pay a big chunk of change to the homeless (instead of the licensing fees);
Then get the bug fixes for any such software only once a year, and
each year send a percentage of the original amount to the homeless
(instead of your annual support fee).  ;-)

I agree that a compiler and assembler does not make a development set,
and there is a lot more to the the GNU software; there is a ksh/sh replacement
shell (bash), a yacc replacement (bison), an AWK replacement (gawk), and
I am sure you've heard of GNU Emacs, and as they say in the
movies - many more...

I guess we all vote based on the economics of the situation, and
since I benefit from the GNU approach, I have to believe it is right.

Skip