firmware password on 3B2/400

David Blackman blackman at hodgkin.med.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 1 03:17:24 AEST 1989

I have acquired an AT&T 3B2/400.  The system administrator for the
machine has left town.  My problem is that I don't know the firmware
password and don't have a floppy key.  I do have root access on the
machine.  Is there any way to discover or set the firmware password
without a floppy key?

Also:  I benchmarked the machine using version 2 of the dhrystone
benchmarks and a c compiler called fpcc.  I got terrible results -
roughly 700 dhrystones/sec (yes i even measured the time with a
stopwatch).  Is this normal?

Thanks, David
blackman at hodgkin.med.upenn.edu