Escape codes and colors in AT+T SysV.

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Sun Dec 3 15:42:44 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec3.025200.26143 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>While this does work at setting the color attributes, it does not
>provide a satisfactory implementation because it doesn't cause the entire
>screen to be colored.  Only characters output after that sequence are in
>the specified color.  Another problem is that many programs (like vi) clear
>the color/attributes by sending an \033[0m at startup time.

Actually no, programs like vi(1) clear the color/attributes by sending
whatever TERMINFO tells them does the trick for your selected terminal!
Therein lies the real trick for getting a different colored console:
define an alternative AT386 entry with the colors you want specified by
twiddling the startup sequences.  The underlying AT_ANSI display driver
is a generic color terminal that's happy to use whatever colors you ask.
This really works; I also use it to run a 43 line console which is the
joy of my existence.
--
War is like love; it always      \%\%\%   Tom Neff
finds a way. -- Bertold Brecht   %\%\%\   tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET