X-window on AT&T UNIX PC

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Wed Jun 28 17:00:02 AEST 1989

In article <4561 at sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> ix326 at sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Dau-Tsuong Lu) writes:
>Hi, my research group has been given three AT&T UNIX-PC's that has
>been collecting dust elsewhere.  We are interested in running
>X-windows on them.  I'd really appreciate if some one can point to me
>what hardware/software combination is necessary to do this.  Thanks in
>advance.

Well, we're not quite that far along yet :)

After doing a lot of reading, I have decided to begin work on the server side
of things. My plan is to implement the server the first time around the quick,
dirty and SLOW way, using the mfb and mi stuff. The UNIXpc has everything
needed for X: stupid bit plane, keyboard that interrupts on key press AND
release, same for mouse. I am still undecided about where to draw the line as
far as how to split up the video part of the server. Mapping the video RAM into
the server process is not possible. The video memory resides in 4 separate
4kx4 bit dynamic RAMs at $420000. I do not think a hardware mod would be
appropriate in this case. The thought of having to do an lseek and a read or
write for every access is also not very pleasing. Maybe ioctl() to PixBlit
would be fast enough. Hmm.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to force feed an X server for testing?

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!