Questions on 3B1 fans & meltdowns

dave munroe dave at safari.UUCP
Thu Jun 15 14:31:15 AEST 1989

Awhile back I read in postings where a failed fan has resulted in a melted case.
I don't know if the 7300's/3B1's have a thermal switch or not; but it appears
that if there's one there it's not sufficient to prevent such a meltdown.

Aside from damage to the system, how serious is a fan failure -- is it likely
to start a fire?

Does anyone know the MTBF of these fans?

If I mounted a separate fan next to the vents on the right side (or perhaps
a few inches behind the solitary 3B1 fan), would this keep the system
cool enough to prevent a meltdown in the event of the 3B1's fan failing?
If so, this would be reassuring for systems that are left unattended for many
hours.

Thanks in advance,		-Dave

				...pacbell!safari!dave
				...tektronix!qiclab!safari!dave