sock_* symbols in /unix (was Re: X windows for the UNIXpc)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Wed Jun 7 10:12:49 AEST 1989

In article <8641 at chinet.chi.il.us> kdb at chinet.chi.il.us (Karl Botts) writes:
|>Incidentally, I noticed once while poking around in /etc/lddrv/unix.sym
|>on my 3b1 some symbols called "sock_this" and "sock_that" and...
|>
|>heck, wait a minute, I'll go get 'em.
|>
|>sock_wri = 0x1da80;
|>sock_write = 0x1da80;
|>sock_rea = 0x1da84;
|>Does tnis mean anything to anybody?

Yes, these are hooks in the operating system for the Ethernet TCP/IP support
for the Ethernet card (that was) available for the UNIX pc.  With the
Ethernet driver loaded you would have a socket library.  Let's wait a bit
and Alex Crain might have his available.  Last I heard he might have something
to show at the UNIX pc BOF coming up at the Summer USENIX.  We'll see :-)

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576