9track on 3b2

452is-Wolford wolfordj at ihlpy.ATT.COM
Wed Jun 28 08:51:01 AEST 1989

>From article <125 at bdofed.UUCP>, by nickerso at bdofed.UUCP (b):
> Hello World!
> 	Hi.  We're having trouble with backups on a 9track.  We have two
> 3b2s (a 622 and a 700).  We have the tape unit on the 700 and ethernet
> between the two.  We have /dev mounted under RFS on the 622.  The problem
> is that the backups are taking FOREVER! (well, almost :-)  The backup of
> 	Has anyone else had any experience with the 9track on a 3b2?  Our
> contacts at AT&T say that the throughput should be much higher.  It seems
> that the drive is stopping and starting as it writes (an indication that
> the buffering can't keep up with the drive???) which means it has to back up
> so that it can get the tape to the right speed at the right time.  Not exactly
> a time saver!
>
> 		Bill
>
> nickerso at bdofed
> Etobicoke Board of Education
> 1 Civic Centre Ct, Etobicoke, Ontario
> (416)394-7182

YEP, think of what you are doing.  Taking the information off the of the
disk (ie
1 - going through the disk controller,
1A - to the SCSI controller
2 - to the 3B2,
3 - to the networking card
4 - through the network
5 - to the networking card
6 - to the 3B2
7 - to the SCSI controller
8 - and to the 9 track controller

Steps 3 - 6 are removed from the process if you don't have the take mounted
over a lan.

Think about it.  Have questions send mail and I will give a more
detailed explaination of "why" this occurs and that little you do
could make the tape drive on the RFS'ed machine to stream.

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpy!wolfordj

harvard-+