AT&T UNIX PC Expansion Unit

Jeffrey J Wieland wieland at ea.ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Jun 23 05:48:49 AEST 1989

We are trying to install one of these on a 3b1, but we are having
problems getting some of the cards to work.  We have the following
configuration:

    In the internal slots:

Slot 1: 2 meg RAM board
Slot 2: EIA/RAM Combo Board
Slot 3: Expansion Unit Card

    In the Expansion Unit:

Slot 5: Tape Controller
Slot 6: EIA/RAM Combo Board
Slot 7: EIA/RAM Combo Board (right hand slot, looking at back of unit)

None of the EIA/RAM cards have memory installed.  The serial ports in
the EIA/RAM cards in the Expansion Unit are not recognized by the
system software.  This must have something to do with how the system
identifies the cards to tell what hardware is installed.  The manual
for the expansion does say that any ram cards must be installed in
the internal slots, but we thought that we would be all right since
there is no ram installed on these boards.  Is it possible to get
these cards to work in the expansion unit?  By the way, the tape
drive controller card works fine.

			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland at ecn.purdue.edu