VarTech 7300 deal

Steven R. Houser srh at docwrk.UUCP
Fri Jun 9 22:06:42 AEST 1989

The word has been going around the net that the AT&T's deal with VarTech on
7300's is off.  This isn't true--I just received a 7300 from VarTech this
week.

What IS true is that VarTech is selling these completely unsupported by
AT&T.  They are machines that were originally part of a large computer deal
with Mexico, which Mexico reneged on.  They come with version 3.51 UNIX,
with no warranty card.  It's the international version of UNIX, which means
that it doesn't have the encryption disks.  It has everything else, though.
The machines have been sitting in a warehouse for a long time (what else is
new), but VarTech burns them in for two days before shipping them out.

The price for a 7300 with 1 MB RAM and a 20 MB hard disk, including the
3.51 UNIX, is $649.00 plus shipping.  If a computer with no warranty makes
you nervous, you can get a 1-year extended warranty from VarTech for $200.
Otherwise, they guarantee the machine for 30 days.

Here's how to contact them:

VarTech
605 E. Ogden Ave. Suite B
Naperville, IL 60540

phone: 312-505-1777
fax:   312-505-1313

The machine I received is clean and works fine.  It has "UNIX PC" on the
monitor instead of "PC 7300".  Also, "battery upgrade" was stamped on the
carton.  I'm not sure what this means, but I noticed that the backup
battery actually keeps the clock running after the machine is turned off.
My other 7300 doesn't do that.

I'm in no way connected with VarTech, etc. etc.

Steve
--
Steven R. Houser    The Document Workshop | "Man is the only animal who
					  |  laughs--or needs to."
srh at docwrk.UUCP      CompuServe 71401,373 |
uunet!osu-cis!n8emr!uncle!oink!docwrk!srh |                  Mark Twain