WD2010 group buy, update

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Jun 29 20:32:50 AEST 1989

I've received several emailings offering to "get in" on the group buy of
the WD2010 chip (and, no, we're nowhere's near the 100-unit quantity for
the first-tier price break).

I'll be replying shortly (using a form letter! :-) to all those who've sent
me email.  The reply will include details of how to send check, address, etc.

As it stands presently, it appears that we'll be purchasing ~20 chips.

For planning purposes, the chip is $43.xx (my price quotes are at the office),
sales tax (7%) is approx. $3 (WE have to pay the tax since we're operating as
private individuals), and I'm just GUESSING the shipping and packaging to be
around $1 - $1.50.  Full details and pricing will be in my reply.  And, if you
need it, the new diagnostic disk will be extra (media, shipping, etc.; the
software itself is "free" :-)

If you want to get in on this group buy, and you haven't already sent me
email, please contact me by July 6 - 7; I'll email final details then, and
wait up to a week (for checks to arrive) before placing the order with Anthem
Electronics (approx. July 14 or 17).

If you have concerns regarding the chip, all I can say is that I've already
tested the WD2010 in all 4 of my systems (one 3B1 and three 7300) and
everything worked fine; my 3B1 is a final-production model (date code "8634",
the 34th week of 1986) and the 7300 systems are about a year or so earlier
("8506" and "8509").  Sorry, I don't have the specific motherboard revision
levels at hand, but the letters "J" and "D" come to mind.

One of the 7300 is now a "3B1" after I upgraded the motherboard RAM to 2MB,
added a 74F258, and installed a Miniscribe 3085 ("67 MB"), using the WD2010.
The RAM upgrade took about 12 hours and is an experience I don't want to
repeat anytime soon! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]