Funny Clock with Fsokay shutdown.

Merv Graham merv at gpstwr.UUCP
Mon Jun 19 06:34:12 AEST 1989

In article <724 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <123 at sssphx.UUCP> rl at sssphx.UUCP (Rod Longhofer) writes:
>|>I have added the nice :-> program for the replacement of the 3b1 normal
>|>rc with Lenny Tropianco script's and programs, everything seems to work
>|>fine other than, my clock looses 3 hours during the startup? I am running
>|>ver. 3.5 unix, 72meg drive 2 meg ram.

>Since my "/etc/rc" program does an "date -" during startup, it will take
>whatever is in the hardware clock and write it into the software clock.
>Of course if your clock is off by 3 hours, it may "seem to appear" that
>it is loosing time... I would suggest resetting your clock with:
>
># date mmddHHMMyy

Sorry, this doesn't fix it either!!!!!
Low pilot light on here:
It seems that UNIX programmers that live on the east coast think that time
revolves around them.
pilot light off :-)

Seriously, the UNIX kernel seems to assume EST/EDT unless explictly set to
some other time zone.  We in the other zones are always having to be
careful that the TZ environment is set properly.  Particularly for
programs that are to be run by cron.  If not, we are "mailed" messages or
have files created that are all dated with EST/EDT times.

With regard to this problem, the way I fixed it was to move the line:
	TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`: export TZ
to a postion before the "date -" command is run.  This lets the system
know it is to use the proper offset when extracting the date from the
hardware clock.
Please advise use if this would create any other problems.
--
Merv Graham                 |     merv at gpstwr.UUCP
Graham-Patten Systems, Inc. | or: tektronix!gvgpsa!gpstwr!merv