HELP! GCC exhausts 3b1 virtual memory

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Thu Jun 8 01:15:45 AEST 1989

In article <23146 at srcsip.UUCP> herndon at milo.SRC.Honeywell.COM (William Herndon) writes:
>   Now, on to the current problem.  I have managed to get gcc, version
>   1.35, to compile using cc.  The executable of the parser is about
>   6.6M and appears to run correctly.  After completing the initial
>   make, I tried to recompile gcc with itself, as the installation guide
>   suggested.  The compile proceeds smoothly until the cc1 starts work
>   on c-parse.tab.c.  After thinking about it for a few minutes unix
>   complains about virtual memory being exhausted, and the make aborts.
>    Any body have ideas?  Encountered the same problem?  Any and all
>    help is appreciated.

No particular ideas, at least about why this happens to you.  Well, one
idea: cc may be so busted that the resulting gcc is also busted.

I have gcc 1.35 running on my 3b1 (with 2.5 MB main memory, and a swap
space of 5000 blocks).  It was compiled by bootstrapping from a previous
version, without any reported memory trouble.  I run with UA, as a normal
user, all the time.  The port from cc to gcc was done many versions ago
by someone else.

You might want to run
	iv -tv /dev/rfp000  # type this exactly.  Do not goof.
to see the size of your swap space (the second partition, "Part 1").