Battery Upgrade, what is it ... (was Re: VarTech 7300 deal)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sun Jun 18 08:20:18 AEST 1989

In article <40 at docwrk.UUCP> srh at docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) writes:
|>The machine I received is clean and works fine.  It has "UNIX PC" on the
|>monitor instead of "PC 7300".  Also, "battery upgrade" was stamped on the
|>carton.  I'm not sure what this means, but I noticed that the backup
|>battery actually keeps the clock running after the machine is turned off.
|>My other 7300 doesn't do that.

Basically it can mean one of two things ... one, is that they replaced
the dead (or presumeably dead) lithium battery that is soldered to the
motherboard.  Or if they did what I think they did, they replaced the solder
connections with some sort of AA battery case that will make it easier
to replace batteries in the future.   All UNIX pc's and 7300's *should*
save the clock in hardware (assuming the battery still works, if your machine
boots up to "January 1, 1970" it doesn't) ...

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576