phone lines and obm

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 11:06:36 AEST 1989

	I am trying to put together a program which will be run
by 'cron' and which will use the obm.  When I detect that line 1 is set
to VOICE, I want to switch it to DATA then carry on.  I can use
"system("/usr/bin/phtoggle"); except that when it detects and error, it
throws up a window which needs a response.  Not too good when run by 'cron'!

	o Is there a way to run "/usr/bin/phtoggle" so that I can get
	  the error and handle it myself?

	o Is there some other mystical way to switch the phone line?
	  (My interpretation of 'phone(7)' says that a 'struct updata'
	  won't do it.  If I'm wrong, please elucidate.)

	o What is a legitimate 'arg' for ioctl(2) when using the commands
	  on phone(7) pg. 5?  I have a 'struct updata' reflecting the
	  call out parameters.  The call:
		ioctl( fd, PIOCOFFHOOK. &my_updata);
	  produces EFAULT (Bad address) perror messages sometimes then
	  sometimes it goes off hook and dials the number. ???

	I have tried using the 'dial(3C)' routine but got the following
response from the compiler:

	undefined		first referenced
	 symbol  		    in file
	tgetent             		//lib/libc.a
	tgetstr             		//lib/libc.a
	tgetnum             		//lib/libc.a

	o Apparently it needs another library but which one?

	o Is there an easy way to find out what functions are
	  defined in a given library?

Thanks for any help.
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780