Help with 3B1 2nd drive. Update

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Tue Jun 13 15:43:36 AEST 1989

Re: the 7300 not "taking" a WD2010 ...

sorry to burst your bubble, but I own UNIXPCs that spread the gamut, from
the earliest machines (.5MB and "7300" logo) to the last production week of
the 3B1, and the WD2010 chip work fine in *ALL* of them.

I have spoken with Western Digital (in Irvine, CA), the mfg. of the WD1010
chip (stock UNIXPC) and of the WD2010 (the upgrade chip): except for the pin
4 of the WD2010 (not connected), they are functionally IDENTICAL and can be
considered a pin-pin replacement.  By "not connected" I mean the pin is "N/C"
on the WD1010, and there is no trace leading to/from that pin on the UNIXPC
motherboard (that I can see).  They haven't yet sent me the data sheets for
the WD1010 and the WD2010, but the App Engineer in Irvine and her counterpart
in Sunnyvale both assured me they can be used interchangeably (in the UNIXPC).

The only difference of note is the WD1010 handles a MAX of 1024 cylinders,
and the WD2010 handles a lot more (at least up to the requirement of a Maxtor
XT2190 (1224 cylinders)).

If you're intending to use the WD2010 with a HD having more than 1024 cylinders
your MUST, repeat *MUST*, get the new diagnostic disk that has cognizance of
the WD2010 and can properly format and verify beyond 1024 cylinders; after the
HD is formatted, the stock (at least 3.51) kernel operates fine with > 1024 cyl

NOW: "where does one get the new diagnostic disk?".  I don't know the genesis
of it, but it is "available"; I uucp'd my copy from another UNIXPC site since
I urgently needed to format a Miniscribe 3085 to its full 1170 cylinders ...
it has been working GREAT, and I intend upgrading my other two systems the
same way.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]