Misc. 3b1/7300 Questions

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Mar 6 15:23:47 AEST 1989

In article <449 at amanue.UUCP> jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
 [ about adding window gettys to /etc/inittab ]
>(2) Make sure the new lines you create have either ' ' or ':' in the first
>column and that the first field is unique.

I think I would advise just the opposite.  The ' ' or ':' convention relies
on undocumented behavior by /etc/init, breaks some programs which parse
inittab, and makes those lines subject to being geferked with by programs
which run setgetty.  The ONLY reason to use the ' '/':' convention is so
that uucico or cu can turn off that getty when it dials out on that line
(and hopefully you don't do uucp through a window!).  The correct way to
disable a getty is to change its "respawn" field to "off".
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com