3b2 Questions - Answers Appreciated

michael k finegan mfinegan at uceng.UC.EDU
Sun Mar 5 05:39:07 AEST 1989

[...stuff deleted WITHOUT notice!...]

In article <615 at tcsc3b2.UUCP>, pag at tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:
> In article <7455 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
> [...stuff deleted...]
> > 	Questions:
> > 	1; Is there a way to make a bootable floppy system
>
> magic mode
begets
> POOF!
It took a couple of hours on AT&T phones calling AT&T to get this. Do people
realize how lucky they are when they get it easily ? On the other hand, real
computer systems (BSD?) tell you in the manual how to install, destroy, and most
importantly BOOT the system SINGLE-USER w/wo a hard disk. I even got a return
phone call form AT&T service after only asking for the trick, to see if I
knew what I was doing.
> you will find that you don't even have 'ls', for this you will have
> to use 'echo *' in order to get directory listings.  In order to
'find' is what I used ...
> things such as 'mount' have been defined as functions and are not
> available in the normal format.  You may want to hack with this on
you can still mount, they just changed the name ...
> drive, you need to have access to the low level formatting programs.
> These are found on releases of what is called DEVTOOLS and more
> recently IDTOOLS diskettes.
I thought you weren't supposed to know stuff like this? 8-)
> > 	c; Is there a place that rebuilds the drives at an effective cost?
> Don't know, but please let me know if you find one.  We have a
Call CDC @ 1-800-382-6060 (Oklahoma is where they were assembled ...)
The rebuild cost is signifigantly less than AT&T or distributor cost ...

BTW - have you used the faster clock 32000 series CPU's ? Is it worth the
expense, and is there a `best' source $-wise?

					Mike Finegan
					mfinegan at uceng.uc.edu
					finegan at ucece1.san.uc.edu