Gcc 1.34 on unix pc (was swap)

John Birchfield jb at koko.UUCP
Tue Mar 21 13:18:00 AEST 1989

I originally asked about swap space on the unix pc 'cause I was compiling
gcc v1.34 and ran into problems compilinggcc with itself.

I first had to create a neew cpp.  I used the 1.34 cpp by modifying the
code slightly (so that __STDC__ wasn't defined automatically) and compiling
it with the 'make cpp' command.  I then installed it over the original cpp
(after saving it off) and undid the changes to cccp.c.

I then executed a make and all went well.  I then executed
	make stage1  &
	make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
This first bombed out on the compile of c-parse.tab.c with a
'virtual memory exhausted' error.

The upshot of all this is that I had to compile stage1 and stage2 without
optimization. i.e.

	make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -Bstage1/"

Is this normal?  Am I really holding my mouth the wrong way? Is there
something I'm not doing right? (entirely likely).