find: bad status-- /u/tu

Bob Ames bob at rush.howp.com
Wed Mar 29 16:56:13 AEST 1989

Anybody seen this:?

3.51# find /u -print
[...]
/u/tutor
/u/tutor/Filecabinet
[...]
/u/tutor/Filecabinet/Profiles/9600bps:A2
find: bad status-- /u/tutor/Filecabinet/practice/sample6.clf
find: bad status-- /u/tutor/Filecabinet/practice/sample5.clf
[...]
find: bad status-- /u/tutor/Filecabinet/practice/sample1.clf
/u/tutor/Wastebasket
/u/tutor/Clipboard
/u/tutor/.history
find: bad status-- /u/hello
find: bad status-- /u/dummy
find: bad status-- /u/someone
[...]
3.51#

The bad status messages continue for the rest of the /u directory.
The only command which seems to be bothered at all with the /u
directory is find.  I can cd, ls, od ., anything.  All the files
are there and intact.  The only reason this error was discovered
is that the Tape Backup software gave the same errors during the
"Checking the file systems" phase of the "Complete Backup".

I did an od -cx /u and the output looked somewhat reasonable for a
directory.  There's plenty of space left on the disk.  I tried
rebooting.  It seems like permissions, but I'm root.

This all started after we brought the machine back from ATT for a
new power supply |-)

Bob

Bob Ames  The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop," USDA
bob at rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob at nosc.mil or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-743-2546 "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush