Var Tech and other 3b1 vendors

Howard E. Motteler motteler at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Fri Mar 3 17:44:29 AEST 1989

Many thanks to the people who responded to my request for information
about Var-Tech.  Since I got some mail from others who were
interested, I guess I'll post the info.

Var-Tech's number is 312 810 1777; the guy handling the 7300's is
Steve.

The deal they are offering is a 7300, 1 meg/20 meg, for "about $650,"
with a 30 day warranty.  They seem to put together a customer list,
and then order (uncrate, whatever) a batch of 100-200 machines, and
then sell them off.  They took my name, phone no., etc., and put me on
the list; they take your money when the machines are in.  I'll post
the firm price as soon as I hear from them.

Steve said they set them up and test them for a day or so before they
ship them, which is encouraging.  Reports from other Var-Tech
customers was mostly positive.  There was one guy whose machine did a
melt down; he got a replacement, but it took a while.  (They don't
always have machines in stock!)

On a related note, I just got a price list from DDS (now Discovery
Electronics), dated Feb. 6.  (The prices seem about the same as I was
quoted in a call, last week.)  Some prices of interest:

	62meg/1meg & Unix 3.51		$1,595
	42meg/1meg & Unix 3.51		$1,295
	20meg/.5meg & Unix 2.0		  $649
	10meg/.5meg & Unix 2.0		  $495

	1/2 meg memory board		  $175
	2 meg memory board		$1,095
	2 port combo card with 0 meg	  $395
	2 port combo card with .5 meg	  $549

	7300 keyboard & mouse		   $30
	2 monitors in a box		   $50

I just got the combo card with 0 meg; it comes socketed for easy
addition of RAM.  I also got an extra keyboard and 2 monitors.  (Ok,
well, I *like* the monitor...)  AT $175 I've just got to order the 1/2
meg card; if I can't hack it to work on the bus with the combo card,
maybe I'll just give it to alex 8^).

They do have a $100 minimum order.  They also have Hard Disk upgrades,
and some interesting prices on fast modems.  Their Unix utilities seem
a bit...list, at $495, but with emacs, gcc, etc., floating around,
you'd never miss them.  I got my utilities from TRC, in CA (now
called...something else), for around $350, but that was a year
ago.

Actually, I've had pretty good luck with vendors.  I even squeezed a
hardware manual out of Convergent, in their pre-UniCyst days, but that
was wierd; it took 4 or 5 cycles of phone tag (but they *always* called
back) before they shipped it out, COD, even!

Note:  I have no relationship with any of the above companies, except
as a satisfied customer.  Prices, etc., are posted because many people
are interested in these things!