strange behavior of nohup

James C. Benz jcbst3 at cisunx.UUCP
Fri Mar 31 00:29:06 AEST 1989

I have been trying to write a shell script that invokes a home-brew demon
process for an application I've been working on.  On other Unix systems
I've worked on, (3B2) the nohup command allows you to log out of the
current shell level without killing the nohuped process.  My shell script
on the UNIXPC has a line that goes something like this:

nohup demon options 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null&

Having executed this line and exiting back to the $ prompt, I then press
^D to exit the shell.  Normally, this would get me back to the ua window
environment, but after running the nohup, ^D hangs the Full-screen Unix
window (Sys V version 3.51) and the only way I can get rid of it is to
open another Unix window and explicitly kill the demon process that was
run with the nohup.  Once this is done, the hung window disappears and
everything is back to normal.  So what am I missing?  Is there some other
way to accomplish this that won't leave dead windows lying around?  ps -eaf
shows that the parent process for the nohuped process is 1, not the shell
that invoked it, so it seems right, but the window hangs every time.  Is
there a bug here, or am I missing something in the documentation?  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,