sockets for SYSV (UNIXPC)

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Mon Mar 20 09:19:34 AEST 1989

In article <612 at ivucsb.UUCP> todd at ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
[ found a lot of socket references ]
>int net_tcpdebug = 0;		/* Number of tcp trace buffers */
>int vt_defcnt = 0;		/* Number of configured pseudo-terminals */
>							^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>							I have these, now.
>							Got a driver from
>							some ftp site.
Not the same thing as the pty driver. This is for a network terminal interface
called "vt.

>This looks to me like some beginning efforts to emmulate Berkeley sockets.
>
>Has anyone looked into this?  Is it possible for some loadable device driver
>to be written to emulate sockets?

Yes, there is. It is the Wollongong (sp?) software for the Ethernet board you
can get for this machine. What you have found are the parts that had to be
compiled into the kernel to provide the hooks Wollongong needed. Now, of course,
those hooks could be used by anyone else...

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933; AMPR: 44.70.0.52;  Don't FLAME, inform!