Is the sysdump partition *really* needed on a 3B2/600?

Steven Hagar shagar at vpk4.UUCP
Wed Mar 15 00:32:19 AEST 1989

In article <1518 at ucsd.EDU> brian at ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>On my 3B15, I have the crash dump area pointed at the swap area.  It's
>not going to be swapping at the same time as it's crashing, and since
>I have no intention of ever doing anything but rebooting if it DOES ever
>crash, that's good enough for me.  I just don't want it spewing on
>my filesystems on the way down.

One of our service technicians recommends getting a dump of memory after
a crash, before rebooting the system.  He has found that the memory dump
can provide useful troubleshooting information, which will be purged when
memory is reinitialized during the reboot.  His experience in a number
of instances has been that rebooting clears the symptoms, but doesn't
necessarily correct the problem, and without a memory dump, you might
not know until the problem occurs again what the real problem was.

  Steven Hagar             .
  AT&T Canada Inc.         .  ATTMAIL: !shagar
  (416) 756-5061           .  UUCP: uunet!attcan!shagar