3b1 cc (v3.5) compiler bug?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Mon Mar 27 09:15:15 AEST 1989

>The following code produces the indicated error when compiling on the 3b1.
>I believe the expression in question is legal C; and it compiles OK on
>a Sun.

Yes, it's legal.  It's definitely a compiler bug; any message that
begins with "compiler error" - from a PCC-based compiler, at least - is
*ipso facto* a sign of a compiler bug - that's what "compiler error"
means!  (Even if the construct were incorrect, an error message saying
"compiler error" indicates a compiler bug, if for no other reason than
the fact that it indicates that the incorrect construct isn't being
properly checked for or diagnosed, or that the compiler writer thought
it was impossible, and thus the compiler discovered something happened
that the compiler writer thought "should never happen"....)