mkfs and inodes

Philip A. Gross pag at tcsc3b2.UUCP
Thu Mar 2 15:21:25 AEST 1989

In article <617 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (peter j holsberg) writes:

> If I run a mkfs on an existing file system (just to increase the number
> of inodes), will I be wiping out the files in the system?

By all means yes it will.  When it finishes the partition will be
squeaky clean!!!  Remember to remake the lost+found directory with
the /usr/lbin/mklost+found command in order to assure that an
adequate number of blocks/inodes have been set aside in the event
of a crash.

> If so, is it necessary to reformat before using mkfs?

In short, no.

Philip A. Gross			   |INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2 at wb3ffv.ampr.org
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.    |USENET:	...!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716 |UUCP:	tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716         |ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
Voice: (804)794-3491               |
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)