sockets for SYSV (UNIXPC)

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Mon Mar 27 09:12:42 AEST 1989

In article <1834 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
> In article <10667 at stb.UUCP> michael at stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> >As for a socket device driver, I'm currently writting a stream socket
> >emulation library--but it needs to be in a known process context
> >(hence a library, not a device).

deletion..vch

> 	For the last 6 weeks, I've been busy porting the BSD4.3 layered
> socket code to the unix pc. Berkeley released the code awhile back, so it's
> all free, and theres alot of it. So far, I've got about 3000 lines of code
> that is nearly complete for

What are some references (besides the short intro in Bach) on how to use
these devices and what manuals pages are available?

deletion..vch

> 	I suggest a book called _The Design of the Unix Operating System_ by
> Maurice Bach as a guide to the internals of unix (mostly system 5). Also
> look for _UNIX PC Version 3.0 Device Driver Development Guide_, a free 40
> page document from AT&T that comes with a kernal debugger on disk. I have
> no idea who to talk to at AT&T, I started (a long time ago) with AT&T
> information (1-800-???-????) and asked about unix-pc's and drivers until I
> found someone who would send me something.

I have Bach from Prentice-Hall and I got the Device Driver Guide from
AT&T by writing to the address in the _UNIX-PC Interface Specification_
book which came with the Development Set (pg 2-52).

		AT&T Information Systems
		Product Manager - UNIX-PC Enhancements
		Attn: Device Driver Information (Rm 6A45)
		1776 On the Green
		Morristown, NJ 07960

However, I didn't get the kernal debugger disk.  Anybody with a
suggestion how to get a copy of that?

We're looking forward to hear more from Michael and Alex.  Thank you guys!

BTW  Is the Prentice-Hall book on UNIX Device Drivers worth while?
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780