68020 for UnixPC (was Re: UNIX3.51m...)

Eric Smith Eric_Smith.FCP_Quality at gateway.qm.apple.com
Sat Apr 14 03:12:30 AEST 1990

In article <1085 at lectroid.sw.stratus.com> lennox at lectroid.sw.stratus.com
Eric_Smith.FCP_Quality at gateway.qm.apple.com (Eric Smith) writes:

>    Armed with the kernel .o files and a disassembler, you may be able to
>    hack a working kernel.
>
> But how would you *boot* that kernel?  Do you know the format of
> a boot tape?  If so, could you tell me?  (If of course that wouldn't be
> legally unwise)

As far as I know, you just put the new kernel in the root file system with
the correct file name (which escapes me at the moment, UNIX?), and it
should work.  Of course, the boot ROMS and the boot loader on the drive
may need to be hacked for the 68020 also.

Eric Smith

Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
employer, family, friends, computer, or even me!  :-)