MGR - I have some suggestions - can we talk?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Thu Apr 12 13:53:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr10.064200.17245 at i88.isc.com> botton at i88.isc.com
(Brian D. Botton) writes:
|>In article <4613 at daffy.cs.wisc.edu> horn at rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:

[...]
|>>fun now to actually program on instead of just have because it's unix that I
|>>could afford.  So I'm all for anyone doing anything with mgr.  Speaking of
|>>which . . . is Lenny going to port sysinfo to mgr . . . ? . . . please?
|>>Or maybe I should start this endeaver?
|>>

|>  How about it Lenny?  Something like perfmeter, or is that perfmon, on the
|>Suns would be real nice.

Sounds like a nice project for me.  As soon as things calm down, here I
might be able to do it.  Right now since I'm actively looking for a new
job (anyone have a suggestion in this department?), this is taking up
a lot of my time.  Fighting the flu doesn't help either.

When I wrote sysinfo I never dreamed it would be such a hit.  I guess now
I'd miss not having something there telling me what's going on.  I guess
with MGR you could easily hack sysinfo to just print the stuff, instead
of call the ioctl's to write to the UNIX pc SLK lines.  That way you
could invoke a small 80 character x 2 line window with this running in it.
That's probably the quick hack...  Anyone have a better suggestion?
Maybe a graphical representation of the load avereage and filesystem (like
an gas gauge of sorts) would be nice...

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |