Daylight Savings Time glitch on 3B2/310

Scott Merrilees Sm at bhpese.oz.au
Mon Apr 9 20:52:04 AEST 1990

dritchey at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (don.ritchey) writes:
>Overall solution, get a new release of the OS, since the change is
>present in the libraries used throughout the system.  Unless you have a
>source license (unusual for a 3b2/310), the a new release is about all
>you can hope for.  The other is to call the support number in your
>documentation and ask if they have a fix disk for the changes.  I can't
>help with that now, I used to be a 3b2 system administrator, but am no
>longer working with 3b2's.

I was looking thru my V.3.1.1 Admin Manual last Saturday nite, looking for
stuff I didn't know, & found timezone(4), which describes how to set up the
TZ variable to allow you to specify when the changes take place.  The
examples given were for New Jersey

	TZ=EST5EDT		or, the equivalent complex version for 1986
	TZ="EST5:00:00EDT4:00:00;117/2:00:00,299/2:00:00"

not the "'s because of the ;. The 117 & 299 are julian.

Needless to say, I was very pleased, because Australian DST in no way
resembles the US/Canadian version, and apart from being 6 months different,
varies from state to state, and at the whim of the current state
government.

The book was:
	AT&T 3B2 Computer, UNIX (R) System V Release 3
	System Administrator's Reference Manual
	305-570 Issue 1, (C) 1987 AT&T

Sm
--
Scott Merrilees, BHP Rod & Bar Products Division, Newcastle, Australia
INTERNET: Sm at bhpese.oz.au      UUCP: ...!uunet!bhpese.oz.au!Sm