two questions about the 3b1

Eric Smith esmith at goofy.apple.com
Sat Aug 18 08:34:13 AEST 1990

In article <24776 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> andersom at boulder.Colorado.EDU (ANDERSON MARC O) writes:

   [1] - Is it just me (or my machine) or does it take all of you 3b1'ers
   a half an hour to compile small stuff with g++?  (gnu c++)

   It took about 30 minutes to compile a simple program like:

   main()
   {
	   cout << "anarchy!!!\n";
   }

   which doesn't seem right...  (oh yeah...  with an #include <stream.h> at
   the beginning)....

Sounds like you don't have enough physical RAM.  I hope you have more
than 1 MB.  One time I accidentally booted my 7300 without the combo
board installed, so it had only .5 M.  I'm told that earlier releases
of the OS ran OK with that little memory, but 3.51 took almost half an
hour to boot.

The stock disk drives in 3B1s and 7300s are dog slow, so you want as
much physical memory as possible to minimize swapping.

--
Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith at apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)