6386E/33 goofiness with DOS and modem

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Wed Aug 15 01:06:27 AEST 1990

In article <4988 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>I recently added an official AT&T modem (model 2224CEO) to a running
>6386E/33, hooked up to COM2 (I had only a DB9 cable).  It works
>just fine with "cu" on UNIX.
>
>The next time I booted DOS, I got drastic slow-downs in screen
>operations, scrolling, etc.  Plus, sometimes I get activity on
>the modem, as if DOS was accessing the modem or vice-versa.
>
>I suspect that the console redirection feature (COM2CONS), which
>just stays active in the CMOS (UNIX doesn't care; if it has a working
>video card, it ignores the redirection via conflgs), is affecting
>the machine's operation under DOS.  Will I have to manually disable
>the redirection via conflgs whenever I want to use DOS?  The hotline
>said no, but the behavior I'm getting suggests otherwise.

You ONLY need console redirection if you arn't using a PC monitor and
keyboard (the 'default' console).

If you are using a monitor, you turn console redirection off for both
Unix and DOS (you still get the com ports as tty's under Unix, cu talks to
com2 and the modem still works under DOS).

The 'problem' you've noted isn't a bug, it's pilot ErRoR (mis-configuration) (-:

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden