Help! Dead 3B1 just clicks and blinks.

Tom Adams - 235-7459 adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Mon Aug 13 00:04:49 AEST 1990

In article <21187692 at macs.UUCP> rpb at macs.UUCP (Bob Breum) writes:
>I came home the other day, and discovered my poor 3b1 going, "Click, click,
>click..."  The caps lock and nums lock lights were flashing in unison, and that
>was it.  No display, no disk activity (floppy or HD), just a steady clicking
>and the smell of toasted insulation.

Something similar happened to my 3b1 after a rather severe mechanical shock.
It turned out that the hard disk had gotten thoroughly wedged and was
oveloading the power supply.  The power supply was shutting itself
off and on again at about 1 cycle per second.  Replacing the drive
fixed the problem.  I would imagine that a short could produce
similar results.
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab
BOOKS WANTED: pre-1930 radio, electrical & scientific topics