two questions about the 3b1

ANDERSON MARC O andersom at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Wed Aug 15 15:49:34 AEST 1990

[1] - Is it just me (or my machine) or does it take all of you 3b1'ers
a half an hour to compile small stuff with g++?  (gnu c++)

It took about 30 minutes to compile a simple program like:

main()
{
	cout << "anarchy!!!\n";
}

which doesn't seem right...  (oh yeah...  with an #include <stream.h> at
the beginning)....

[2] - I have a 3b1 with a 20 meg miniscribe harddrive....  I just figured
out how to leach my brains out with FTP, and now have about 75 blocks
remaining on my system....  Anyway, would it be true to say that "getting
a faster hard drive would increase the speed on my unix system" since most
of unix is hard drive access rather than processing time?  (I believe my
hd has about a 60 ms access time which is disgusting!!!).

Supposing I get say an 80 meg hard drive with 28 ms access time (any
recommendations for good 80 meggers that aren't too cheap, that would
work easily with the 3b1?), I still can run my 20 megger for mabey news
or arhives or something, correct?  How would I do this?  Would I need any of
those hardware upgrades that people have been talking about?  Which ones would
I need??  (Does the one advertised by Brian support more than one drive,
does it only allow you to use more than eight heads?..  Or do you not even
need special hardware to run just two harddrives?).

Anyway, please bear with me...  Although I have v3.51 of the operating
system, I have no documentation AT ALL.  I was capable of replacing the
RTC battery in my system, but haven't exposed myself to much else of the
3b1 internal workings....

Any help would be very appreciated....

Marc

andersom at tramp.Colorado.EDU