bash & the att3b1

Mark C. Otto mco at slimer.UUCP
Thu Aug 23 10:34:00 AEST 1990

In article <28707 at netnews.upenn.edu> kehoe at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>In <4440 at vaxwaller.UUCP>, lefko at vaxwaller.UUCP writes:
>>2. alloca-files/alloca.c had to be compiled by hand because somehow
>>the makefile believed it was already there.
>
> Hmm...when I did it I didn't have that problem..

Try picking up alloca from the osu-cis archive for the 3B1/7300.

[...other stuff deleted...]

>>This is the one that stopped me.
>>
>>5. The linker could not find opendir(), readir() and creatdir().
>>Neither could I.  Does anyone know how to get around this problem?
>
> Yep...type the stuff in from The C Programming Language's Unix section
>(at least that's what I did).

Yuck! The osu-cis archive has a POSIX upgrade kit for the 3B1 library
which contains all of these and more - debugged and working.

Your 3B1 came with System V, but you certainly shouldn't have to put up
with ALL of the limitations that implies.  Look around - there are others
who have passed this way before you and have blazed a trail.  Make good
use of the tools they have supplied and you may find the 3B1 to still
be a viable personal UNIX platform. :-)

--
Mark C. Otto   EMail: mco at slimer, {teemc | hpftc}!slimer!mco
Voice: 1-313-441-4264    USnail: 5133 Heather #208, Dearborn, MI. 48126