What is the best fan configuration for a 3B1

News Administrator dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Mon Aug 6 05:01:51 AEST 1990

I have a 7300/3b1 and am trying to determine what the best possible fan
configuration is to keep the thing cooled.  My current hardware configuration
is the following:

	- 7300 style case (no hump)
	- 3b1 power supply
	- 2 meg memory board (no other expansion boards)
	- two hard disks in case (both ST-251)
	- two floppy drives in external case (thanks Gil!!)

The possible fan configurations that I have come up with are as follows:

	- two fans blowing out (default config for 7300)
	- one fan blowing out (default for 3b1??)
	- two fans blowing in (has anyone tried this?)
	- one fan blowing in
	- one fan blowing out and one fan blowing in

I am currently running with one fan blowing in (at the power supply) and
one fan blowing out and it seems to be keeping the machine fairly cool.  I
currently have a piece of screening over the fan opening to keep dirt out
but I will probably switch to a piece of filter material as soon as I get
a chance.  Can anybody think of any problems that might result from having
the fan blow in instead of out?  Also, would any of the other possible
configurations provide better cooling?  Would it be better to have the
intake fan on the side away from the power supply?

Something else that just occurred to me is that I have the 2meg memory board
installed in the slot under the power supply.  Would it be better to move it
to the other side of the machine or doesn't it make any difference.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com
Be excellent to each other.