changing unix-pc's idea of window size

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.uucp
Fri Aug 3 03:23:46 AEST 1990

In article <232 at hico2.UUCP>, kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
|> Well, I found a small font to load into those undersized 3b1 windows.
|> When I use the vi editor, however, only a limited section of the window
|> window is used.   How can I change the size that the window thinks it is?
You have to change the TERMCAP environment variable in your shell.  This
defines the number of lines and columns in the window, among other things.

Some programs, (I do not think vi is one), also require that the environment
variables LINES, and COLUMNS must be made to match the size of the screen.

I have written a short program, (which I call sz), which will set these for
you.  Maybe it's time to clean it up, and post it.
Is there interest?

A program cannot change the environment of its parent, so you actually type
$ eval `sz`

--
Tom Tkacik				...uunet!edsews!rphroy!tkacik
GM Research Labs			tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org
"I'm president of the United States, and I'm not going to eat anymore
broccoli."
						--- George Bush