3B1 tape drive problems

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Thu Aug 16 09:32:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug15.095735.24252 at mthvax.cs.miami.edu> rkw at mthvax.cs.miami.edu
(Dr. R.K. Wright) writes:
|>I am trying to use the tape drive and only have the window type
|>manual.
|>
|>Recently Lenny Tropiano wrote that
|>tar cvf - . | dbuf -oT25600 /dev/rft3
|>would work.  It does not for me
|>
|>dbuf -i /dev/rft3 on a tape prepared from windows gives me what
|>is on the tape.  Any attempt to do dbuf -o or dbuf -oT25600 give me a
|>cannot read write error and the light never comes on.
[...]

Well can't say much other than to check the "write protect status" of
the tape.  If the tape is turned to "SAFE" then that's the problem.
I tried the "tar" command and it worked just fine ...

-Lenny

--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |