2 COFF File Problems

Jim Heliotis jeh at cs.rit.edu
Thu Aug 2 04:48:23 AEST 1990

I am having two presumably unrelated problems with a.out files on my
AT&T WGS6386 pc.

The first problem concerns the C++ translator, thus the inclusion of
comp.lang.c++.  One of my students got this error message when linking
some C++ programs together:

CC -o run_server mach.o mach_pkt.o mach_svr.o -L/usr/local/lib -ldc -lsocket -lnsl_s -lm
cc  -Wl,-L/usr/local/lib  -o run_server  mach.o mach_pkt.o mach_svr.o -L/usr/loc
al/lib -ldc -lsocket -lnsl_s -lm -lC

ld fatal: fail to write symbol name __ct__9streambufFPci in string table for fil
e run_server
*** Error code 13

By the way, this is cfront 2.1, and __ct__9streambufFPci translates to
streambuf::streambuf(char*,int) .

My only thought is that the symbol table filled up?!?!

Now for the other problem:  sdb does not accept ANY core or a.out file!  Look at
this little script:

gizmo-jeh[5] cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

main ()
{
char x[10];
x[10000] = '!';
printf("Hello, world!\n");
}

gizmo-jeh[6] cc -g hello.c

gizmo-jeh[7] a.out
Memory fault - core dumped

gizmo-jeh[8] sdb a.out core
Warning: `core' not a core file dumped by `a.out'
*q

gizmo-jeh[9]

Any ideas?  This is true of all of our 386's here.  If I run uname -a,
I get

gizmo gizmo 3.2 2.1 i386

Thanks to anyone who could help us.

				Jim Heliotis