Unix PC and WD2010B

Doug McIntyre dougm at madnix.UUCP
Tue Aug 14 06:31:55 AEST 1990

        Okay, with all this talk I've started on the WD2010B, I've decided to
go out and price them..
The WD2010B is really outdated, in fact the distributer I've talked to, said
he only had a few left, (less than 100 for them I guess..)
But since, this is a distributer we have to go through, we have minimum
order and stuff like that..
The minimum order would be $200, and the chips cost $54 each..
This is through the local Hallmark Electronics Corp here in Minneapolis..
The mail messages I've recieved quoted about the same price, so this isn't
that great of a price shock..
So does anybody want to go through a group buy on these things? I really only
want people that are comitted to buying these, as I don't want to be stuck
with $54 parts lying around here..
Respond with mail if you are interested...

=================================

Second, can anyone who has the source, (or re-constructed/ and figured it out)
what exactly the program /etc/ph has to do? This is the one
leaving all the 15k .phdir file droppings around in my user directories, and
the one that tries to keep up the ua style file directory structure, which
is pretty useless for somebody not even running ua..
This is a pretty huge program to sit and figure out.. The disassembled
text part alone is 405k or so.. The data and BSS is over 1M.. (disassembly
output..)

>From what I've looked at in /etc/ph, (the 1st 100k or so) is sits and parses
the file /usr/lib/ua/phnum..  (also pretty useless for me..)

Has anybody done just the important parts that the other programs seem to
need? (and won't run if /etc/ph isn't installed?
Why do they need /etc/ph in the first place? )

===================================

Third:

I'm having problems with a Minniscribe 3085 I installed,
(and started all the talk on the WD2010 on).. I'm getting weird errors
all over the place. Whenever the drive hits these regions, I get a
re-callibration, and the process being killed that tried to read this
region in the first place..

Its not like a head crash, because I've been running for two weeks without
an error now.. But whenever I put something big on the drive, (ie. unpacking
a GNU piece of software or so), it will run into an error..

Some of the cylinders that have had trouble are:  (all on head 0)
346,30,9,35,34,25,50,467,247,33,132

Is this a major problem with the drive?  Should I attempt to
return/replace this drive? Or is it something I've done? I did a low
level surface test when I installed the drive, (about a month ago) and
it passed perfectly, (except for the bad blocks already entered in the
bad block table of course..) I haven't tried a new low level surface
test, but I don't think that would help much..

Lastly,
        Where does the code that can print graphics on the different
printers live? (ie. a screen dump)... Is it in the wmgr someplace?
(for all the printers supported?!?)

--
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!dougm
                                 {decvax|att}!