Serial I/O on AT&T PC6300, Help please.

Craig Johnston johnston at milton.u.washington.edu
Sat Aug 25 01:52:18 AEST 1990

  I've just started working in a lab that has an AT&T PC6300, and I am trying
to use it for transfering data from another piece of equipment.  It is a simple
RS232 serial connection, but I can not get the transfer to exceed 1200 baud
without data loss.  Now, this machine shows a higher performance index than
a standard 4.77 MHz PC/XT that will keep up at 9600 baud.  What gives?  I
suspect something different about the workings of the UART or interrupts.

  I have tried Procomm and Kermit with the same results.  Do I have any options?
Are there some communication packages out there that will allow me to run
faster than 1200 baud?  Transfering 100K+ files at 1200 baud is slowwwwww, but
this is the only machine we have available.

  Please respond by E-mail.  Any help would be much appreciated.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Craig Johnston
                                as    johnston at milton.acs.washington.edu