New Root disk for UNIXPC (and a little story to boot [no pun])

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Tue Aug 14 09:59:31 AEST 1990

In article <632 at tsnews.Convergent.COM> bri at tsnews.Convergent.COM (Brian Rice) writes:

|>Um... I think I would go with Lenny's version (No offense intended to Mr.
|>Becker) merely because of the sort/discard option he suggests.  However,
|>I don't recall seeing the word 'backup' in either of the follow-ups!
|>I am currently running the Maxtor 2190's (Thanks Thad) and am also in
|>agreement with Lenny on this: the seek time is not very good. All that
|>space on the other hand...

You're right, but I think those who are thinking about this procedure
know that you copying the root filesystem from one drive
to another, therefore by the very nature of that operation you have a
backup.   :-)

I guess the disclaimer should be ...

  DON'T FORMAT, MKFS, OR DESTROY YOUR ORIGINAL ROOT FILESYSTEM UNTIL YOU
  VERIFY THE NEW ONE ACTUALLY WORKS AND EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS THERE!

Yes, folks even the best of us goof once and a while.  I remember helping
a good friend of mine swap some HD's around, while I was at her
console (su'd as root) I decided to re-mkfs the slice 2 on the second
drive (for those that don't know it's /dev/rfp012).  Well as things go in
those intense 'hacking' sessions... a slip up of one little number and POOF!
Well I hate to admit it (and now as she is probably reading this, she's
rolling in her seat ...) I typed:

# mkfs /dev/rfp002

Tick... tick... tick.  Aborting the procedure prematurely, but too late
to save anything ... And feeling very embarrased, as well as very
much responsible -- I non-chelantly [sic] said, "Do you have a recent
backup of your root filesystem?"  Of course I was handled the 90+
diskettes.  [I guess that's better than most UNIXpc'ers]  Two hours and
then some later, things were back to some semblance ...

The moral of the story is ... BACKUP, IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT!

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |